About Our School
Drumcondra National School is a three teacher school. The school is under Church of Ireland management and is part of the parish of Drumcondra, North Strand and St. Barnabas. There are currently 57 children on roll.
Drumcondra N.S. has one Special Educational Needs/Support teacher and a school secretary. The school has a Special Needs Assistant working in the 1st, 2nd & 3rd class classroom.
Drumcondra N.S opened on 20 August 1906, with 67 children on the roll. At that time, the Reverend E.H. Lewis-Crosby was the rector of the parish of Drumcondra and he was the driving force behind the opening of the school. Thomas Boyd was the first principal and Annie Watt was the assistant teacher.
The school originally opening in a prefab beside Drumcondra Church. This building was made from corrugated iron, lined with wood. There was one classroom, 20 feet long, 30 feet broad and 11.6 feet high. Despite only having room for 67 children, by November there were 87 on roll. By January 1907, there were 123 pupils on the roll. The school moved to its current location on Church Ave in 1907.
The school celebrated its centenary on Friday 27th April 2007, by holding a service of Thanksgiving in the church and a party complete with food and entertainment back in the school. Over 400 past and present pupils attended. President Mary McAleese paid a visit to the school in May 2007, to mark the occasion.
After many years of planning and fundraising, work on the new school extension project began in 2014. It was no small feat to pack up the school and move to our temporary accommodation over in the grounds of Childvision.
Our new, temporary home was even smaller than our old school but we all enjoyed listening to the noises from the animals in Childvision’s Pets Corner, seeing the horses from time to time from the Equestrian Centre and changing from our slippers to our shoes to enjoy play times in the huge field! We are so grateful to Childvision for accommodating us.
Then in May 2015, it was time for the big move back. Everyone was so excited to see what the new building was like and all the children wanted to know who was going to get the biggest classroom. Our official opening was held on Friday 22nd of May 2015 and we were honoured to have past pupil and Most Reverend Dr. Richard Clarke, Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland perform the opening ceremony for us. The day was a wonderful opportunity for pupils, past and present to see the new building.
Drumcondra N.S. is a community where all students and staff are equally valued and respected, irrespective of gender, social background, family circumstances, educational achievement, physical characteristics or intellectual functioning. The school seeks to provide a climate in which students, staff and parents experience a sense of caring and belonging, and of being treated fairly.
Ms. Gleeson – S.E.T. teacher (Acting Principal)
Ms. Neale – Junior and Senior Infants & 1st Class (Acting Deputy Principal)
Ms. Coffey – 2nd and 3rd classes
Ms. Stewart – 4th, 5th and 6th classes
Mrs Wilson – Special Needs Assistant
Mrs Kirby – School Secretary
Our Student Council members for 2019/2020 are:
Lucy (Chairperson), Lucy (secretary), Hannah (Treasurer), Keelan (Public Relations Officer), Alfie (Junior Infant rep), Oisín (Senior Infant rep), Rosaleen (1st class rep), Joe (2nd class rep)
Drumcondra N.S., Church Ave,
Drumcondra, Dublin 9.
Infants: 8:25am - 1:05pm
1st to 6th: 8:25am - 2:05pm